I love Cannelloni, it is one of my favourite pastas, but I hate stuffing them… it is such a messy, painful job and I really can’t be bothered to pipe it in, so this is my solution! Roll up Cannelloni. All you do is get fresh lasagna sheets (or make them yourself) and lay the filling at one end and roll up! It makes something a bit different and what kid doesn’t like a tube of pasta? You may think well that is a lot of pasta, but really if you put a generous amount of filling in, they are perfect.
This recipe has come out of necessity, as my Aunty arrived the other day with 3 pumpkins and 2 gramma, and we already had a whole organic pumpkin in the fridge ready to use. So you will be getting a few pumpkin recipes coming your way soon!
I think that sage is one of the most underrated herbs, I use it all the time, it is easy to grow and has a wonderful meaty flavour that goes fantastically with pumpkin. I know that typically you stuff cannelloni with spinach and ricotta, but I made that too and will post it next week 🙂 I just wanted to start with this one because it is different and has a wonderful flavour.
Ingredients – Sauce
2 Cloves Garlic
1 Tablespoon (20g) Olive Oil
1 x 700g Bottle Passatta
1 x 400g Tin Tomatoes
300ml of Water (use it to rinse out the pastas bottle)
2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon sugar
Ingredients – Filling
500 – 600g Peeled Pumpkin
2 Cloves Garlic
2 Tablespoons (40g) Olive Oil
8 -10 Fresh Sage Leaves
100g Grated Mozzarella (Approximately)
100g Grated Parmesan (Approximately)
10 Fresh Lasagna Pasta Sheets
Method – Sauce
1. Place a large space pan on the heat, finely dice onion and garlic and sauté in oil.
2. Add all other ingredients, bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and let the sauce simmer with the lid on for 30 minutes, take the lid off and simmer for another 15 minutes to allow the mixture to thicken.
3. Set aside to cool and use when putting the cannelloni together.
Method – Filling
1. Cut pumpkin into madam sized pieces and steam, boil or roast until it is soft. Set aside cooked pumpkin to cool in a large bowl.
2. Place a small frying pan on the heat, finely dice onion, garlic, sage and sauté in oil.
3. Add saluted ingredients to cook pumpkin along with egg, feta, 50g of Mozzarella and 50g of Parmesan and mix the ingredients together well.
Go to making up the Cannelloni after the Thermomix Method.
1. Place onion and garlic into mixing bowl and chop 3 seconds/speed 5.
2. Scrape down the sides of the mixing bowl and add oil sautéing 4 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.
3. Add the rest of the sauce ingredients to the mixing bowl and the chopped pumpkin (from filling ingredients) into the Varoma and put the Varoma in place. Cook both ingredients 30 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.
4. Place pumpkin into ThermoServer and cook the sauce (with the mixing basket on to stop mess) for another 15 minutes/Varoma/speed 1. When cooked set aside sauce into another separate ThermoServer or container to cool.
5. Into the dirty bowl place onion, garlic, sage (from filling ingredients) and chop 3 seconds/speed 5.
6. Scrape down the sides of the bowl, add oil and sauté 4 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.
7. Add sautéed ingredients to the steamed pumpkin along with egg, 200g of feta, 50g of mozzarella and 50g of parmesan and mix together until well combine. Follow instructions for making up the Cannelloni below.
Making up the Cannelloni
1. Place a small amount of the red sauce into the bottom of the container.
2. Roll out one lasagna sheet and place about 1/2 cup of mixture at one end of the sheet.
3. Roll up the sheet as tight as you can (there will be some spillage out the ends) and place seam side down in the sauce covered dish.
4. Continue with the rest of the sheets until all of the mixture is used up.
5. Cover with the rest of the sauce and sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella and parmesan over the top of the sauce.
6. Place in the a pre heated oven of 180°C for 45 minutes or until the sauce is bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden brown.
7. Serve with a salad and or garlic bread.
I think this is an easy tasty vegetarian dish, that has a meaty flavour and is delicious! Also the easiest Cannelloni ever! I know that everyone has there favourite pasta dish, but you never know this could become another one.
I hope you enjoy making this dish and don’t forget to let me know what you think. Do you just make things up when you spot a bargain at the fruit and veggie shop or do you stick to a recipe?? I look forward to hearing from you!
If you like this recipe maybe you would enjoy these.