Well technically Lisa makes this in her beautiful Le Creuset casserole dish, but I don’t have one, so I made this in my slow cooker and it works just as well. Instead of lamb shanks I cut a leg of lamb in half and used that, so you can really use any large cut of lamb that has bones in it, you will just have to vary the amount of time you cook it.
Just like every oven… every slow cooker is different. I usually cook mine on high for the whole time, but when I use my mum’s slow cooker, I need to turn it down to low after about 4 hours, so the recipe is going to say 8 hours on high, but you gauge what your slow cooker is like.
2 Tablespoons (40g) Olive Oil
3 Large Onions
4 Cloves Garlic
125g Bacon or Speck
4 Large Carrots
4 Celery Sticks
1 cup (250ml) Red Wine
6 – 8 lamb shanks (or a leg of lamb cut in half)
2 Generous Tablespoons Honey
3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
Salt and Pepper
1 Tin of cooked Beans… I used White Cannellini Beans, you can use haricots, kidney or flageolet etc
I have included Thermomix short cuts if you are so inclined.
1. Finely chop onions, celery and garlic and saute in Olive Oil until tender. Add chopped bacon and continue to cook until bacon starts to change colour.
TM Place onions, celery, bacon and garlic into Themomix bowl and chop 5 – 10 seconds/speed 5, scrape down the side of the bowl, add oil and saute 10 minutes/Varoma/speed 1.
2. Place sautéed mixture into the bottom of the slow cooker with sliced carrots. Place lamb shanks or lamb leg on top and add all other ingredients except beans.
3. Place the lid on and cook on high for 8 hours.
4. When ready stir through beans and allow to cook for another 20 minutes, while you cook some mashed potatoes or other accompaniment.
5. Sprinkle with some chopped parsley and serve with mashed potato or polenta or a nice slice of bread. ENJOY!
I love my slow cooker… especially during winter. It is wonderful to come home to a house smelling of yummy food. I normally serve this with a big dollop of mashed potatoes as shown, but you could just easily grab a bowl and eat it all by itself or with a nice chunk of bread.
What is your favourite slow cooker meal… I’m always looking for new recipes, so please drop by and let me know!
If you like this recipe, you may like these as well?