It is first of December, so only 24 days till Christmas. Since this is my very first Christmas as a food blogger I will be posting all my very favourite recipes. I hope you enjoy! Liz xx
This was originally a recipe that Mum AKA as Kay, found in some magazine many, many years ago… it was call “Cafe’ Royale” and mum made one batch and it was gone Christmas eve! The next year it was “Kay are you going to make that brown drink again” and so it was born, “Kay’s Brown Drink” It has gone through many changes as I think the original recipe calls for the addition of rum and cream, but in this family we keep to the basics.
The problem with this drink is that it taste better the more you drink… the first one poured over ice seems to take a while to drink, then once your mouth has a taste for it, the subsequent glasses just seem to slide down, and before you know it, all the bottles are gone! The coffee keeps you awake, so you can sit up chatting with relatives you haven’t seen since last year playing cards till the wee hours of the morning! Then one bright spark thought, “why don’t we make it with decaffeinated coffee?” This resulted in a batch of decaf and a batch of normal, so we can now choose!
I also come from a long line of scotch/whisky drinkers, they normally drink it with water or on ice… so this is just an extension of that… I am not a great fan of scotch, unless it has coke in it, but my nana would turn in her grave if I drank any scotch (even the bad stuff) with coke, so this is the only way I drink it!
It last for up to six months in the fridge and the only reason I know that, is because my Aunty Joan hid a bottle one year and forgot about it, found it and opened it 6 months later saying it was just as good if not better.
I tend to save some wine bottles in November to put it in because they are already sterilised with the alcohol, and of course the scotch bottle….! Don’t use good scotch for this! We often buy the cheap Johnny Walker (mum can’t stand to drink it at all) during the year when it is on special for $25 a bottle and it tastes fine!
INGREDIENTS – Make approximately 4 x 700ml bottles.
1 Bottle Cheap Scotch
2 litres Blue Ribbon Ice- Cream (make sure it is good quality)
8 cups Strong Black Coffee
1. Empty ice-cream into a large bowl that can hold 6 litres and break up the ice-cream into bits.
2. Pour hot coffee over the ice-cream and stir to help it to break down and melt.
3. When the ice-cream is completely melted, pour in the bottle of scotch and mix around.
4. Pour into 4 serialised* bottles and put into the fridge for at least 24hours… it takes better after a week!
*When you have finished a bottle of wine (screw top) make sure that it is empty and put the top back on it. leave it in the cupboard until you need it, they make perfect brown drink bottles! you can also use the bottle of scotch that you just used as well.
5. Serve over ice and add a little milk/cream if it is a bit too strong for you. It is a great way to make one bottle of scotch go a long way! Personally I just like it over ice. So please, sip away, watch the Myer Christmas Bowl on TV and sing Christmas Carol till the wee hours of the morning!
So Merry Christmas and Enjoy a glass of this yummy beverage (or two)
If you like this recipe maybe you might enjoy this one as well…