This is a delicious way to roast chicken pieces. I love the way it is so full of flavour. If you own a Thermomix it is also a great way to use that buttermilk that is left when you make your butter, or you can buy it in a carton from the supermarket.
ATTENTION PLEASE NOTE… It is important that you marinate over night… so I can recommend putting it together while you are making dinner one night then it will be ready for dinner the next. It is so easy to make and if you put it in a large zip lock bag to marinate, no mess too.
I remember see Nigella Lawson making something like this one night when I was watching the food channel, it looked really easy. I had some butter milk after making some butter and decided to make something up. I popped the cooking juices into a good food processor (Thermomix) and made the most divine gravy imaginable, seriously, I could just eat it with a spoon!
8 – 12 Chicken Drumsticks you can really do as many as you like… I have done 24, but I have a big baking dish that holds that many with space around each drum stick.
500ml (g) Buttermilk
60ml (g) Grapeseed Oil (you could use vegetable if you like)
4 Cloves Garlic (sliced in half lengthways)
1 Teaspoon Cumin (ground)
1 Teaspoon Coriander (ground)
1 Teaspoon Cracked Black Pepper
1 Teaspoon Smokey Paprika
1 Red Onion (sliced into quarters)
1 Teaspoon of Sea Salt
1. Place Drumstick into a large zip lock bag or marinating container and place all ingredients in with it.
2. Marinate overnight or at least 8 hours.
3. Preheat oven to 220ºC and line a baking dish with baking paper.
4. Drain chicken reserving liquid, onion and garlic.
5. Place onions and garlic on to the bottom of the pan and place the chicken on top. (it will always work better if you have space around your chicken so a bigger pan is always better)
6. Pour 4 tablespoons of reserve liquid over the chicken and place in the oven for 30 minutes at 220ºC.
7. Turn oven down to 200ºC and cook for another 30 – 40 minutes (depending on how many chicken pieces you have cooked) it is good to cook it high first as you get a great colour on your chicken.
8. Serve chicken and careful lift up the baking paper and put the contents of it into a blender/Thermomix and been until smooth. This is your delicious gravy… it doesn’t look wonderful, but it taste divine!
Don’t waste the left over liquid, place some more onion, garlic and chicken in it and put it in the freezer, when it defrost it will be marinating… It only seems to work twice… and it does taste different the second time, but still good 🙂
So there you have it… Please try it, I can’t tell you how yummy this chicken and the gravy is.
If you like this recipe maybe you will like these?